Linux compatibility layer's wiki page

Roman Divacky rdivacky at freebsd.org
Thu Feb 14 14:46:26 PST 2008

On Thu, Feb 14, 2008 at 07:47:49PM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting Roman Divacky <rdivacky at freebsd.org> (from Wed, 13 Feb 2008
> 10:15:52 +0100):
>
> >On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 09:39:12PM -0600, Novembre wrote:
> >>Hi all,
> >>
> >>I just wanted to mention that the wiki page for Linux compatibility
> >>layer ( http://wiki.freebsd.org/linux-kernel ) has not been updated
> >>for about 5 months. I was wondering about the status of the project
> >>right now, whether it's ready to use, etc.
> >
> >its been ready to use for many years :) nothing much happened over
> >the 5 months... but there are things in the queue waiting to be commited.
>
> We could do a new run with a recent LTP release and update the LP
> page... unfortunately I don't have the time and not enough resources
> for this.

I doubt that much (if anything at all) changed

> >most notably - *at syscalls (linuxulator and native ones), this is quite
> >close to be commited (waiting for me to answer kib@ some questions which
> >I hope to do really soon now), also epoll seems to be ready for the prime
> >time but I havent found anyone who can review/commit that (it's really
> >trivial so I think anyone can do that)
>
> Post the epoll patch here on emulation.

sure... after I get some sleep I'll do that ;)

> >overall the status of linuxulator is really good I'd say, especially
> >with the recent fix to mmap()
>
> We should mention that we have a known bug in the linux getents().
>
> >There's a plan to switch over to 2.6 emulation on default once 7.0
> >is released
>
> More precisely: after *at() and epoll hits the tree, we plan to switch
> to 2.6 in _current_ (after a HEADS UP to current@).

I dont think that this is absolutely necessary but it makes sense...
I am not sure if the epoll() should be included too (so far no review
has been done and I dont htink its wise to delay the switch because of
epoll())

roman