fam/gamin incompatibility

Chris eagletree at hughes.net
Sat Dec 20 12:45:01 PST 2008

Hi, I apologize in advance for hitting a development list but
someone on questions suggested this is the only list which
could perhaps provide the answer.

I'm trying to use linux compat to run an intuit (non-open-source)
daemon required to make quickbooks work on Linux. I was
attempting this on FreeBSD as I've never had a linux server in
my net to date and was hoping to integrate the functionality
into my existing FreeBSD servers. I have compat_linux set up
with linux_base_fc7 port, the kern.fallback_elf_brand set to 3.
compat.linux.osrelease is 2.6.16.

All seems to be in order with the exception of it's use of the fam
library (libfam.so) which was not found. I've attempted to use
a linux fedora 9 version of the latest gamin within compatibility
mode and the gam_server is unable to run because of inotify
not implemented. I installed the port for FreeBSD and attempted
to run the gam_server natively hoping that the linux libfam.so.0
would operate with it. The application is unable to open the socket
when run. The port doesn't create directly into /tmp but into /tmp/fam
it appears. Lastly I'd cluelessly tried to use the native library on the
compat side which I'm assuming should never work and of course
didn't due to an ABI error.

Am I up against a hopeless incompatibility here or is there a way
to implement the native library while not having the source for the
daemon? I realize the answer may be to bite the bullet and put up
a linux server.

Please reply all as I'm not subscribed to the emulation list. Thanks
and again sorry for bothering if this is really an off-topic.