linux_base-f8 giving me guff

Kostik Belousov kostikbel at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 13:14:23 UTC 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 04:51:28PM +0400, Boris Samorodov wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 13:14:59 +0300 Kostik Belousov wrote:
> > On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 10:46:10AM +0400, Boris Samorodov wrote:
> > > (drop freebsd-ports@ from cross posting)

> > > Any linux port that installs a shared library (including linux_base
> > > ports) runs linux ldconfig while (at the very end of) installing.
> > > Since that ldconfig cannot run with such an old kernel it stops with
> > > the error.
>
> > Thank you for the explanation. I propose the error condition to be
> > ignored, or warning to be printed etc. The ability to install linux-base
> > and app ports without even loading linux.ko seems to be too useful.
>
> Can you please give (an) example(s) when it is necessary to install
> files with stale /usr/compat/linux/etc/ld.so.cache?
>
> I'm not sure if it make more good than harm... So far we rely on
> linuxulator being run and check for compat.linux.osrelease value
> while installing. If that check is removed then we have only FreeBSD
> OSVERSION which is very unreliable at compat.linux.osrelease quessing.

Assume "I think" or "I propose" at the start of the each sentence below.
This is only a gentle request for possible enhancement.

It is wrong^H^H^H erm inconvenient to have ld.so.cache to be formed
at the port installation time. The /usr/local/etc/rc.d/linux_ldconfig
script that may be run at arbitrary time by the user is much more useful.

I want to have the ability to install linux ports and make the packages
from them in the chroots without disrupting the host or enabling the
less tested linux kernel ABI support on the host. I do know about the
per-jail ABI support, but it is not as convenient as chroot nor it
solves the issue of the less tested kernel code.

The linux_ldconfig rc script would also ease the local installations
of the programs that are not present in the ports. Overall, this would
bring the linux dso handling close to the handling of the freebsd dso,
that I consider good enough.