using a raw disk for qemu image

Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko alex.kovalenko at verizon.net
Wed Nov 7 14:33:44 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 22:41 +0100, Juergen Lock wrote:
> In article <473016F5.80209 at gmail.com> you write:
> >I know this is not a FreeBSD question persay but if I have XP installed
> >on an other drive and want to access it with qemu what is the command
> >line for qemu of qemu-img to enable this... before anyone asks I am not
> >using wine because it doesn't run on amd54
>
> Well theoreticall that would be qemu -hda /dev/ad1 (or wherever that other
> drive is), but in this case its unlikely to work since Windows doesn't
> like hardware being changed under it (the hardware qemu emulates
> most likely is different from the one your real system.)  You can read
> more about this topic in the freenode #qemu faq:
> 	http://calamari.reverse-dns.net:980/cgi-bin/moin.cgi/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#head-bcc0d7a7641ec611dbe969aa9b8d433e2fc0b903
>
>  HTH,
> 	Juergen
Having done something like that with VMWare, here are two observations:

-- create hardware profiles in Windows for real boot and one with
VMWare^H^H^H^H^H^qemu (AFAICR this could be found someplace around
Device Manager tab in the System applet in the Control Panel).

-- you might be required to register your Windows XP installation every
time you switch from VM to real boot. I have not found solution to this
problem and was able to rid myself of Windows in the allowed 60 days.
Windows versions prior to XP do not require registration.

Moved to freebsd-emulation as it seems more appropriate to the topic.

--
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko