[upcomming linux_base-fc6] conditional install

Boris Samorodov bsam at ipt.ru
Fri Mar 23 10:19:53 UTC 2007

On Fri, 23 Mar 2007 09:39:00 +0100 Divacky Roman wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 02:36:37AM +0300, Boris Samorodov wrote:

> > The FC6 port doesn't install with linux.osrelease=2.4.2. Assuming that
> > FreeBSD supports only two values (2.6.16 is the second one) I use the
> > following line at the Makefile:

> I wouldnt say so... in fact noone tried running with 2.6.2 etc. the point
> is that we dont support everything that 2.6.16 does (*at comes to mind first).

Where are your patches? ;-)

> I'd strongly suggest to at least try with the default value for the distro. (ie.
> the version it ships with if < 2.6.16)

> opinions?

I think that we shouldn't use "<" or ">" for linux.osrelease. We
should state some numbers that are supported by FreeBSD. (Which
numbers should decide those who do the kernel job and know better). If
users what to experiment with other linux.osrelease numbers they
should help themself -- we are lack of resources for that task, imo.

WBR
--
Boris Samorodov (bsam)
FreeBSD committer, http://www.FreeBSD.org The Power To Serve