2.6.16 for linuxulator & 7.0 release

Divacky Roman xdivac02 at stud.fit.vutbr.cz
Mon Mar 19 18:35:54 UTC 2007

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 06:06:18PM +0100, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting Divacky Roman <xdivac02 at stud.fit.vutbr.cz> (from Mon, 19 Mar
> 2007 17:49:07 +0100):

> >>Wouldn't setting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.20 (or any 2.4.x release)
> >>suffice?
> >
> >no... we act differenly in the kernel depending on how
> >compat.linux.osrelease
> >is set... setting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL wont change a thing and it WILL
> >SCREW THINGS
> >
> >dont do this
>
> Even when we set it to .20 as he suggested instead to .2 as I
> suggested? With .20 we get the NPTL stuff and maybe not the epoll
> stuff in the jdk.

I was talking about setting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL.. this DOES NOT work in our current
linuxulator and will BREAK things.

the linux_use26() function works on the sysctl compat.linux.osrelease and doesnt care
about LD_ASSUME_KERNEL so kernel things its running 2.6 and userland thinks its running
2.4 -> things must break.

we dont support per-process emulation version setting. and I am not keen about implementing it
as I consider the transition temporary and think after some time we will be using 2.6 emulation
only.

roman