2.6.16 for linuxulator & 7.0 release

Mon Mar 19 10:00:34 UTC 2007

Quoting Dan Nelson <dnelson at allantgroup.com> (from Fri, 16 Mar 2007
12:48:12 -0500):

> In the last episode (Mar 16), Alexander Leidinger said:
>> Quoting Divacky Roman <xdivac02 at stud.fit.vutbr.cz> (from Fri, 16 Mar
>> 2007 13:26:58 +0100):
>>
>> >as java is regarded I think its not a big problem to patch java
>> >shell script to set emulation to 2.4 etc. but I agree that 2.6 is
>> >not ready for 7.0R
>>
>> This would require to run every java programs as root. Very impractical.
>
> Wouldn't setting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.20 (or any 2.4.x release)
> suffice?

Setting it to 2.4.2 (not 20) would maybe help in this case, but this
not only affects java. It's just that we know that java needs it.
There may be other software which needs this too and I would prefer to
switch when we don't need workarounds of this kind.

Bershere's Formula for Failure:
	There are only two kinds of people who fail: those who
	listen to nobody... and those who listen to everybody.