Linux emulation instability

Tue Mar 6 08:28:41 UTC 2007

Quoting Doug Barton <dougb at FreeBSD.org> (from Mon, 05 Mar 2007
16:05:29 -0800):

> compat.linux.osrelease: 2.4.2
>
> Based on your description, and the fact that you're running with
> ULE+libthr but with UP, I'd be pretty comfortable saying an SMP problem
> is "likely" at this point. If someone wants to come up with some
> patches that will likely help the futex+SMP problem, I'll be glad to
> test them. Otherwise further testing on my part will have to wait till
> I get some more spare cycles.

I would be surprised if 2.6.x features like futexes are used with
2.4.2. We don't disable futexes with 2.4.2, but some 2.6.x features
are disabled and the glibc of linux_base-fc4 doesn't switch to using
2.6.x features when osrelease is set to 2.4.2. Additionally futexes
are not fully implemented on amd64 (at least not in HEAD).

Also you should not focus on libthr, as it is not used for linux stuff.

It would be interesting to know where linux-thunderbird locks up. With
a ktrace and maybe the output of linuxulator debugging messages we may
be able to narrow this down to the real problem. At this point I'm not
100% convinced it is a linux problem per se.

I have a very good DENTAL PLAN.  Thank you.