kqemu crash (page fault) with -current

Attilio Rao attilio at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jul 23 11:17:40 UTC 2007

Teufel wrote:
> Hi Attilio,
>
> well, I am not Harry, but I have downloaded also your patch and compiled
> it with yesterdays CURRENT CVS, launched a portsnap fetch update and
> build kqemu + qemu from the ports without any changes to the default
> system.
> Loaded kqemu.ko, and started a win2k3 image with qemu -kernel-kqemu. It
> runs now for about 10 hours. No crashes so far. But I did not try a
> unpatched kernel.previously.
> Just wanted to let you know that here is a 7-CURRENT running from
> yesterday with kqemu in kernel and usermode under SMP. Any tests I
> should do?

Ok,
so a fix for this (even if slightly different from what you have tested)
has been committed yesterday night.
Now kqemu should not care if kernel is compiled or not with KSE and can
be compiled cleanly with or without KSE.
As an addictional note, I can say I think SMP breakage for kqemu is due
to the option SMP not passed as compilation directive since SMP offers
another compile time discriminant for the ABI. In particular, if a
module is compiled without SMP on a SMP kernel it will use racy
synchronization primitives.
This means we should force at least modules compilation to always use
SMP (I'm not sure if it alredy happens honestly, I just hope so).

Thanks,
Attilio