[FreeBSD-Announce] Vmware 5.5 on FreeBSD: Bounty sponsored and formalized by rsync.net

rsync.net info at rsync.net
Wed Apr 25 13:38:11 UTC 2007

Matt,

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007, Matt Piechota wrote:

> > rsync.net is pleased to announce Code Bounties for 2007:
> >
> > http://www.rsync.net/resources/notices/2007cb.html
> >
> > Two of the five bounties are for FreeBSD related projects.  Please take
> > note of the "Vmware 5.5 on FreeBSD" bounty - we encourage you to
> > contribute.
>
> I'm curious: assuming 'VMware 5.5' refers to VMware Workstation 5.5, why
> did you choose that over VMware Server 1.0.2, the no-cost product?  I
> don't believe VMware Workstation has any features over VMware Server, and
> VMware Convertor can copy VMs between versions (if there is a
> even a difference in format at all) if you needed to move machines from
> previous setups.

Vmware workstation has more features and capabilities, and is better
suited to application development, etc.  I don't believe you can do things
like create state snapshots in server.

I like this quote:

"VMware Workstation is better for software testing, VMware Server is the
choice for actually doing real work."

(from http://kontrawize.blogs.com/kontrawize/2006/03/vmware_server_v.html)

If you're already using FreeBSD for actual server use, I think jail is a
good choice for segmenting servers.  For me personally, and for rsync.net,
what we really need is the ability to rapidly test and verify Windows (and
Linux) GUI applications.  Also, the upcoming 3d virtualization from vmware
workstation will be quite nice...