Printing with Acrobat Reader

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Thu Apr 12 14:28:51 UTC 2007

Alexander Leidinger wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > That's correct.  Obviously Adobe Reader performs some kind
 > > of sanity check on the path (if one is given), and for some
 > > reason it always prepends /compat/linux in that case.
 >
 > No linux application does this, it's the kernel. It tries with the
 > compat path first and then with the normal path. I don't know why it
 > does not work in acroread, I never investigated this issue. An
 > application should not be able to know if the command is from compat
 > or not.

Adobe Reader does.  Dont ask me how and why, but it does.
Any other explanation of the symptom is even less likely.

As a matter of fact, when I configure it to use /usr/bin/lpr
for printing, it reports "/usr/bin/lpr not found", and when
I copy /usr/bin/lpr to /compat/linux/usr/bin/lpr, it works.

 > I'm a little bit puzzled, but not puzzled enough to
 > investigate further.

OK.  :-)

Best regards
   Oliver

"FreeBSD is Yoda, Linux is Luke Skywalker"
        -- Daniel C. Sobral