Bounty and timeline on vmware 5.x on FreeBSD 6.x

Tue Apr 3 10:05:53 UTC 2007

Quoting John Kozubik <john at kozubik.com> (from Mon, 2 Apr 2007 15:00:47
-0700 (PDT)):

> Alexander,
>
> On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>
>> Quoting John Kozubik <john at kozubik.com> (from Sun, 1 Apr 2007 12:34:34
>> -0700 (PDT)):
>>
>> > Is there anyone out there that has the time, expertise and background to
>> > implement Vmware workstation 5.x on FreeBSD 6.x, in as good (or better) a
>> > fashion as 3.x on FreeBSD 4.x was circa 2001-2002 ?
>>
>> Do you know if vmware 5.x runs on Linux 2.4.x? If it does not run
>> there, it will not run on FreeBSD 6.x. It may run on -current, we are
>> working on improving the linuxulator there. There are no plans to
>> merge the 2.6.x emulation (far from complete or bugfree ATM) to 6.x.
>

> Vmware 5.5.3 will run with Linux kernel 2.4.x. [1]  In fact, it appears to
> run on 2.2 as well.

A first try would be to backport some bugfixes (e.g. the mmap() fixes)
from -current (I can give a hint or two if someone is interested to do
this). After that determining what is needed by vmware would give a
hint where to proceed.

And you can't get any Watney's Red Barrel,
because the bars close every time you're thirsty...