[RFC] Port for nspluginwrapper

Scott Robbins scottro at nyc.rr.com
Mon Apr 2 21:55:51 UTC 2007

On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 05:26:36PM -0400, John Nielsen wrote:
> On Friday 30 March 2007 10:01:07 pm Dave Grochowski wrote:
> > I wrote a port for nspluginwrapper, which you can find at:
> >
> > http://elvis.rowan.edu/~grocho98/nspluginwrapper.tar.bz2

This works beautfully for me on 6.2-STABLE.  However, on CURRENT, when I
run nspluginwrapper -a -v -i I get

Auto-install plugins from /usr/X11R6/lib/linux-mozilla/plugins
Looking for plugins in /usr/X11R6/lib/linux-mozilla/plugins
.: Can't open
/usr/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/lib/nspluginwrapper/noarch/npviewer:
No such file or directory
.: Can't open
/usr/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/lib/nspluginwrapper/noarch/npviewer:
No such file or directory
.: Can't open
/usr/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/lib/nspluginwrapper/noarch/npviewer:
No such file or directory
.: Can't open
/usr/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/lib/nspluginwrapper/noarch/npviewer:
No such file or directory
.: Can't open
/usr/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/lib/nspluginwrapper/noarch/npviewer:
No such file or directory
.: Can't open
/usr/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/lib/nspluginwrapper/noarch/npviewer:
No such file or directory
Auto-install plugins from /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-flashplugin
Looking for plugins in /usr/local/lib/npapi/linux-flashplugin
.: Can't open
/usr/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/lib/nspluginwrapper/noarch/npviewer:
No such file or directory
.: Can't open
/usr/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/lib/nspluginwrapper/noarch/npviewer:
No such file or directory
Auto-install plugins from
/usr/X11R6/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/ENU/Browser/intellinux
Looking for plugins in
/usr/X11R6/Adobe/Acrobat7.0/ENU/Browser/intellinux
.: Can't open
/usr/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/lib/nspluginwrapper/noarch/npviewer:
No such file or directory
.: Can't open
/usr/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/X11R6/lib/nspluginwrapper/noarch/npviewer:
No such file or directory
Auto-install plugins from /home/scottro/.mozilla/plugins
Looking for plugins in /home/scottro/.mozilla/plugins

I'm not sure what the problem is--I suspect something or is rather
broken on this system.  FWIW, I run xorg-7.x on it, but I do that on the
STABLE box as well.

Still, I'm VERY pleased with how it works on CURRENT.  It might bring me
back to native firefox--I've been using linux-opera these days for flash
and pdfs and firefox for java and non-flash plugins (e.g. wmv files )
wiht the mplayer plugin.

> > For those who do not know what it is, you can find the homepage at:
> >
> > http://gwenole.beauchesne.info/projects/nspluginwrapper/
> >
> > Basically, it allows you to run Linux/i386 browser plugins on the native
> > browsers of other architectures and operating systems. To use it, simply
> > install the appropriate plugins you would like from ports (I tried it
> > with www/linux-flashplugin9, but others should work just as well) and
> > then install nspluginwrapper. As a regular user, run "nspluginwrapper -v
> > -a -i" to automagically find the plugins on you system and enable them
> > for use in Firefox. Now, the plugins should work in your browser. I
> > tried it with Flash 9 and both the graphics and sound worked.
> > Unfortunately, Flash 9 is a bit buggy for me and crashed frequently, but
> > I had the same issue when using the plugin with www/linux-firefox as well.
> >
> > I think the port is pretty complete, but I have only tried it on
> > FreeBSD/i386 6-STABLE and FreeBSD/i386 7-CURRENT. It should work on
> > amd64, but I don't have a machine to test it on. If the port is
> > acceptable, I would not mind maintaining it, except for the fact that I
> > obviously do not have a commit bit (though that probably is not a huge
> > issue).
>
> Just in time for my upgrade to -CURRENT! I downloaded your port today and the
> first time I tried to build it I got a "can't find -ldl" error right off the
> bat. I went in and removed the -ldl flag from the dist's Makefile both places
> it appears and was then able to build and install the port, but it didn't
> find any plugins and when I manually pointed it at libflashplayer.so
> (linux-flashplugin7) or nppdf.so it said they weren't valid.
>
> Thinking that my tinkering probably broke something, I deinstalled the port,
> removed my previous work directory, and tried to build it again. This time it
> built just fine without any modifications on my part. (I even went in to the
> work directory after the fact to see if the Makefile still contained the -ldl
> flags. It did.) I installed it again and this time around it detected the
> Flash plugin automatically and accepted nppdf.so when I ran it with the -i
> flag. Both work just fine in (native) Firefox 2.0. In fact, I can even view
> videos using the Flash plugin; something that never worked with the
> linuxpluginwrapper. And the sound synchronization is definitely "not worse"
> than with linuxpluginwrapper. It's probably even better; my box is busy
> rebuilding OpenOffice.org at the moment so it probably wasn't a good test.
>
> I don't know what was different the second time I built the port.. very odd.
> But I'm happy it works now.
>
> Thanks very much for the port!
>
> By the way, you don't have to be a commiter to be a port maintainer. Just
> follow the instructions in the Porter's Handbook and submit a PR with your
> new port. You'll actually have to do some pretty fast talking to get OUT of
> being the maintainer once you do. :)
>
> JN

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Spike: Nasty sort of fellow. Lucky for you blighters I was
here, eh?
Giles: Yes. Thank you. Although your heroism is slightly muted by the
fact that you were helping Adam to start a war that would kill us
all.
Xander: You probably just saved us so we wouldn't stake you right
here.
Spike: Well, yeah. Did it work?