/dev/sga (Linux) SCSI Command Stuff

Larry Rosenman ler at lerctr.org
Mon Apr 2 20:50:28 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2 Apr 2007, Roman Divacky wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 02, 2007 at 01:50:13PM -0500, Larry Rosenman wrote:
>> Greetings,
>>     I was wondering if any of the developers or hackers had ever considered
>> making the linux emulation strong enough to run things like Seagate's
>> Seatools?
>>
>>     I have a disk that's reporting a bad sector, and Seagate is insisting
>> that I run their software to test it.  Unfortunately, their software is
>> Windows or Linux ONLY.
>>
>>     I'm wondering if there is any chance that we might see enough of the
>> emulation to be able to send generic SCSI commands from a linux binary on a
>> FreeBSD box.
>
> netbsd implements plenty of ioctls we don't... by a chance can you test on
> netbsd? and possibly on solaris as we might ste^borrow from them too :)
I don't have access to NetBSD or Solaris boxes with Seagate drives in them.

Also, we don't (AFAIK) expose /dev/sga to the linux world through the
linux-o-lator so I don't even know if what I want is possible.

Is there a way to may /dev/sga in the linux world to /dev/passn in the FreeBSD
world and see what they pass?

LER

Phone: +1 512-248-2683                 E-Mail: ler at lerctr.org
US Mail: 430 Valona Loop, Round Rock, TX 78681-3893