Bounty and timeline on vmware 5.x on FreeBSD 6.x

Eric Anderson anderson at freebsd.org
Mon Apr 2 13:03:08 UTC 2007

On 04/01/07 15:33, John Kozubik wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Apr 2007, Scott Robbins wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 01, 2007 at 12:34:34PM -0700, John Kozubik wrote:
>>> I have been running FreeBSD as my primary workstation OS for 8 years now.
>>>
>>> Vmware workstation is an absolute requirement for my work, and thus I have
>>> been limping along on an old copy of Vmware Workstation 3.x for Linux run
>>> in binary compat mode on FreeBSD 4.x. [1]
>> I wonder if you, and others willing to add to the bounty (I might be
>> one, and have passed this on to someone else who might be another) might
>> be better off considering vmware-server, rather than workstation.
>> Depending upon needs, (mine is to simply have a working Windows
>> installation, only to run a few relatively undemanding programs) it
>> might be sufficient--also, it is free at present. (As in Free Diet
>> Mountain Dew).
>

> In my case, workstation is required - not only for actual functionality,
> but for simplicity of home network topology and total systems running out
> of my closet, etc.  I'm trying to decrease both as the years go by...
>
> Further, there are proposed functions of vmware workstation, specifically
> the 3d emulation, gaming, etc., that would be very nice to have working.

Would it be more beneficial to approach vmware to have some official
FreeBSD developers sign an NDA, and build a native FreeBSD port, that is
unsupported by them?  Several vendors do something like this, and it
seems like the best overall.  Although, it might be the hardest too.

I too would like *some* kind of vm software.  Qemu is good, but vmware
workstation is in another class.

Eric