linux_base-fc4 problem with rpm

Tue Oct 24 01:46:28 PDT 2006

Quoting Buki <dev at null.cz> (from Tue, 24 Oct 2006 10:23:53 +0200):

> Hi,
>
> I'm seeing problem running linux 'rpm', as it doesn't have the necessary
> library:
>
> |10:19:11|buki at dev:/home/buki/temp>/compat/linux/bin/rpm
> /compat/linux/bin/rpm: error while loading shared libraries:
> librpm-4.4.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory
>
> packages installed:
>
> |10:19:02|buki at dev:/home/buki/temp>pkg_info | grep ^linux
> linux-expat-1.95.7  Linux/i386 binary port of Expat XML-parsing library
> linux-fontconfig-2.2.3_2 Linux/i386 binary of Fontconfig
> linux-sun-jdk-1.4.2.10 Sun Java Development Kit 1.4 for Linux
> linux-xorg-libs-6.8.2_5 Xorg libraries, linux binaries
> linux_base-fc-4_9   Base set of packages needed in Linux mode (for
> i386/amd64)
> linuxdoc-1.1_1      The Linuxdoc SGML DTD
>
> Actually, I didn't run into this problem myself as I'm using bsd
> version of rpm
> with the --root switch, but it should probably be fixed so you don't
>  need to install
> bsd's rpm binary to install linux packages.

Or we should remove the rpm binary in the linux base port... I'm not
sure which is the better solution.

I suggest to make a FreeBSD port for installing a linux package
instead of using rpm. Have a look at one of the linux ports, it's not
hard. It may take a liitle bit more time than doing it by hand with
rpm, but you will safe time when you need to do it later again (for
example when we change something in the linux_base port which is
incompatible to your package, or when you want to update to a newer
linux base port).

To err is human -- but it feels divine.
		-- Mae West