Running vmware3 port under 6.1-RELEASE with ACPI and APIC

Sean Welch Sean.Welch at yahoo.com
Wed May 31 19:17:00 PDT 2006

I've been happily using vmware3 for some time now but I find that I
can't use it under 6.1-RELEASE because of the dreaded hang on
power-on.

I took a look in the port directory and found the recommendation to
disable ACPI and/or APIC.  Unfortunately, doing either will cause my
laptop (Acer Ferrari 4005WLMi) to freeze during boot.

Does anyone have any suggestions for getting this to run?  It runs
perfectly under my installation of 6.0-RELEASE without disabling
anything.

I'd be happy to do any experimentation necessary to get this figured
out.

Thank you!

Sean