color scanner software for FreeBSD

Rick Voland rpvoland at spamcop.net
Sat May 13 23:05:02 UTC 2006

This item is a long-term feature suggestion.

One item I wish would work for FreeBSD is some inexpensive software for
color film or flatbed scanners.  I have SANE installed and working, but
it has limited scanner hardware support compared to the inexpensive
($40) Vuescan which supports "more than 500 scanners and 209 digital
camera raw files under Linux."

http://www.hamrick.com/

I was able to get Vuescan 8.3.37 to run under FreeBSD 6.0 using
linux_base-8-8.0_14 (Redhat 8) by installing libusb.  Vuescan runs fine,
but doesn't see the scanner devices.  (Vuescan runs fine and sees
scanners on this same computer rebooted in Redhat 9, so it's not a
hardware issue.)  I have linprocfs mounted, but I don't see anything
that looked like /dev/pass4 where I've got my SCSI scanner.  I also
looked for sd* devices.

I'm just offering this as a long-term suggestion in response to Scott
Long's recent comments about Desktop FreeBSD.
http://bsd.slashdot.org/bsd/06/05/13/0740227.shtml

Thanks much for what already works.

Best wishes,

Rick Voland