linux-org-libs port downloading xorg-x11-6.8.2-37.FC4.49.2.1.src.rpm, not using it

Ben Korvemaker bfkorvem+freebsd at uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jun 30 12:19:26 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jun 30, 2006 at 03:50:54PM +0400, Boris Samorodov wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:32:56 -0400 Ben Korvemaker wrote:
>
> > It's probably all my fault.
[...]
> Seems that the "-p" option for portupgrade did it...

Ah. Yep. My fault. I like to build binary packages, not for
distribution, but for those occaisional times where it's useful to go
back in time to quickly test a previous version when something goes
awry.

> We use linux libraries and as to GPL we should have sources together
> with binaries. It was agreed that the best be can do -- to download
> sources to those servers which have binary distfiles to
> distribute. Thus those sources are downloading only when
> PACKAGE_BUIULDING=YES is defined -- mainly for the FreeBSD package
> building cluster.
>
> So when a standard user installs linux-xorg-libs from port or from
> package (s)he doesn't get the sources.

Make sense.

> Fedora Core 4 has many xorg-libraries splitted functionally, but has
> only one big file for the sources. :-(
>
> To avoid the sources fetching you may apply the next patch to
> ports/Mk/bsd.linux-rpm.mk:

Is the current situation likely to change? Or will I have to keep
that patched? (and won't that patch get blown away every time i cvsup?)

> But you should read GPL first. ;-)

True.

Thanks,
Ben
--
Ben Korvemaker                   Eagles may soar, but weasels don't
bfkorvem at uwaterloo.ca                  get sucked into jet engines.