HEADS-UP: new default linux base port

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Fri Jun 16 19:29:44 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 11:21:01PM +0400, Boris Samorodov wrote:
> On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 13:55:13 -0500 Mark Linimon wrote:
>
> > It needs to be documented, but I'm not sure hard-coding a version in the
> > Handbook is the best idea.  I don't have a better one right now, though.
>
> OK, let's try to find a better place. So far I see those:
>
> o  the handbook;
> o  /usr/ports/UPDATING (well, it's really a place for updating
>    information);

netchild just did UPDATING.

> o  linux man (nothing reminds about ports at it).

Here's an idea.

Let's try to update the Handbook with some text but say "see bsd.port.mk
for the current default linux_base, which is the one the ports team
supports the best."

That way, everything but the current value of the thing is in the Handbook.
That way, we don't have to have the Handbook possibly lagging the actual
value, when we commit to bsd.port.mk and then forget to modify the Handbook.

mcl