running MacOS-X i386 binaries on FreeBSD?

Andrew Reilly andrew-freebsd at areilly.bpc-users.org
Thu Jun 15 06:09:40 UTC 2006

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 01:21:58AM -0400, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> ?????? 15 ??????? 2006 00:47, Andrew Reilly ???????:
> > Not really (see above). ?It really runs on "Carbon", which is
> > the sum of the MacOS GUI libraries.
>
> Interesting. So it is not an X application...

No, not by a long shot.  I think that the only X applications
that ship with Apple's X11 server are the usual/original set:
xlogo, xterm, twm, etc.

Some third party stuff, such as OpenOffice for Mac is X11, for
example, but you can run that natively anyway.

> Can't the MacOS GUI libraries be ported, though?

I suspect that the interesting bits, like Quartz and QuickTime
will be dealing directly with Mach-level kernel details, like
the IOKit interface to the audio hardware, rather than through
Unix-level device driver interfaces.  So making them run would
involve replicating/emulating those parts of Darwin as well as
just the Unix syscall vector.  That's a significant chunk of
code, and significantly different from emulating Linux or
Solaris or other Unix-flavoured OSes.

> Or do they require kernel support, that is only available from MacOS-X kernel
> (and not Darwin)? Thanks!

Perhaps, but even if they use only Darwin interfaces, Darwin
isn't just Unix, so there would be a lot to emulate.

--
Andrew