Sound in multiple Linux progs

Tue Jun 13 14:59:33 UTC 2006

Quoting "Frans-Jan v. Steenbeek" <frans-jan at van-steenbeek.net> (from
Tue, 13 Jun 2006 14:35:05 +0200):

> However, both at the same time does not work. /dev/dsp is then listed as
> in-use.
>
> AFAIK, Linux binaries work almost like FreeBSD binaries on the same system,
> only there is a linux kernel in the FreeBSD kernel. I imagine that it should

Strictly speaking: no, there's no linux kernel, just a tiny wrapper
from "linux sysctl #X" to "FreeBSD sysctl #Y".

> be that much of a hassle to let the linux progs behave the same, regarding to
> devices. So: is there a solution, and if yes: what is it?

I hope the solution is as easy as to tell you about vchans: Chapter
"7.2.3 Utilizing Multiple Sound Sources" at
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html

Selling GoodYear Eagle F1 235/40ZR18, 2x 4mm + 2x 5mm, ~150 EUR
you have to pick it up between Germany/Saarland and Luxembourg/Capellen