System reset trying to configure Sybase server (databases/sybase_ase)

Mikhail Teterin mi+mx at aldan.algebra.com
Fri Jun 9 03:20:52 UTC 2006

Hello!

I installed the databases/sybase_ase port on the FreeBSD/amd64 system running
6.1-STABLE.

The install went fine, and trying to run the
	su sybase
	cd ${PREFIX}/sybase-ase
	install/sybinit

progresses fine for some time, until the system resets :-( The last messages
out of it are:

	[...]
	Running task: boot the Sybase Server.
	Task succeeded: boot the Sybase Server.
	Running task: create the sybsystemprocs database.
	sybsystemprocs database created.
	Task succeeded: create the sybsystemprocs database.
	Running task: install system stored procedures.

It does not try to make a kernel dump (dumpdev configured), it does not log
anything in the last second (log messages sent to another system). Just a
very quick system reset... And I saw it happen 4 times already -- in the same
place.

The Sybase binaries are 32-bit Linux, but they run as a non-privileged user
``sybase'' (created by the port).

How could it possibly be doing such damage? Thanks!

	-mi