X11 through nullfs under chroot

Timothy Bourke timbob at bigpond.com
Thu Dec 14 20:03:00 PST 2006

I would like to run chroot-ed gentoo-stage3 X client applications on my
host X server through a Unix domain socket.

It does work:
  * through a tcp socket
  * using a hardlink to /tmp/.X11-unix/X0

But it does not work via:
  mount -t nullfs /tmp /compat/linux/tmp

The /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 directory is visible from with the chroot
environment but X clients fail:
    DISPLAY="localhost/unix:0"; export DISPLAY; xlogo
gives:
    Error: Can't open display: localhost/unix:0

I also tried the client and server programs from this page:
  http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~beej/guide/ipc/usock.html

They work between the chroot and host directly or via hardlinks but not
via nullfs.

This seems to be the exact problem of PR kern/51583. But the given patch
does not apply directly to 6.1-RELEASE-p11.

Is anyone successfully using domain sockets to X from a chroot under 6.x?
Or, is this altogether the wrong way of doing things?

Thank you,

Tim.