CFR: Removing the linuxolator on alpha

Sun Apr 30 17:38:32 UTC 2006

Hi,

at http://www.Leidinger.net/FreeBSD/current-patches/linux.diff I have a
patch which disconnects the linuxolator on our tier-2 architecture
"Alpha". It also moves linprocfs from the generic to the architecture
specific "options" and "files" files, since I think linprocfs should
only be build on those architectures where it makes sense... those with
a linuxolator.

The reasons for the removal are:
 - we don't have a linux_base port which supports Alpha and at the
   same time is not outdated/obsoleted upstream/in a good condition/
   currently working
 - the upcomming new default linux base port is based upon Fedora
   Core 3 (security support via http://www.fedoralegacy.org), which
   isn't available for Alpha (like the current default linux base
   port which is based upon Red Hat 8)
 - nobody answered my request for testing it ~1 month ago on
   current@ and alpha@ (it doesn't surprises me, see first point)
 - a SoC student wouldn't have to waste time on something which
   nobody is willing to test

Removing the alpha specific linuxolator files and removing the alpha
specific hack in the MI files will be done in a separate commit (a
little bit later).

Please send objections/suggestions for parts of the patch my way.
Please direct objections to the removal to the trashcan (except you
want to provide patches for the ports collection to make it work before
the start of the work in the SoC).

            Secret hacker rule #11: hackers read manuals.
WL http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/registry/1FZ4DTHQE9PQ8/ref=wl_em_to/