linuxulator blues -- need guidance or tutor for hacking

Thu Apr 27 09:27:07 UTC 2006

Quoting "Georg-W. Koltermann" <gwk-fbsd at mnet-mail.de> (from Wed, 26
Apr 2006 23:15:50 +0200):

> Hi,
>
> I am recently having severe trouble using FreeBSD as a viable platform
> for work.  I need access so some commercial software that is only
> available for Linux, not FreeBSD.  Some of it worked earlier on, but new
> versions all *don't* work.  And I need them for work :-(
>
> Soooo... I think I will try to find some spare time (besides kids) and
> try my skills at hacking to make stuff work.  But I'm not a kernel
> hacker by any means, so I need a helping hand.  And I also can't make
> promises as to how much time I will find.  If it doesn't work out in the
> end, I might have to swap FreeBSD for some Linux distro, as much as I
> would hate that idea.
>
> So is anybody out there that would be willing to help me fix the
> linuxulator to a point where it works for me again?

The Google Summer of Code is starting soon. And updating the
linuxolator is one topic where pre-poposal communication has already
started with someone who already knows a little bit about the
linuxolator. So I strongly assume there will be a student working on
this as a SoC project.

[Failing applications]

Would you be willing to test his patches this summer? They may panic
your box, screw your filesystem or do some other nasty things to your
machine in the worst case...

> Anyone to help me with these? Anyone that I at least can send emails to
> when I get stuck with hacking or simply run out of ideas what I might
> try next?

We don't have an active linuxolator guru ATM. If you don't want to
rely on the SoC project, the only solution is to just start and ask
around in case you're stuck. You may or may not get an answer (someone
may or may not know the answer).

BTW: we're in the process of updating the default linux base port to a
newer one (we're waiting for 6.1 release, since the ports tree is
still not completely open for sweeping commits). So at the end of the
summer the linuxolator will provide a different experience than it
provides currently.

If anything can't go wrong it will.