vmware3 on FreeBSD 6 and raw disks?

Josef Karthauser joe at FreeBSD.org
Sat Apr 22 20:46:01 UTC 2006

On Sat, Apr 22, 2006 at 12:40:50PM -0700, George Hartzell wrote:
>  >
>  >
>  > I'm definitely on the case with this.  I'll post here when it's fixed.
>
> Does vmware3 on FreeBSD-STABLE work when you're using ACPI?

Depends upon what you mean by work.  I had it working on 6.0 for a long
time, up until March of last year when the raw disk support was broken.
After that I didn't really have any time to investigate and so I've just
been posting here ever once in a while to see if anyone had it working.

Currently I've got 6.1-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE #30: Thu
Mar 23 09:04:30 GMT 2006 on my machine and, vmware3-3.2.1.2242_12,1.
I appear to have acpi support switched on.

If I run vmware as a non-root user I get:

    Setting TMPDIR=/var/tmp.
    Unable to fix standard file descriptors.

I'm not sure what that's about; it never used to do that when I had it
running last year.  If I run it as root it appears to work ok; at least
I get a bios screen and it attempts to boot.

So, I guess that the answer to your question is yes.

Joe
--
Josef Karthauser (joe at tao.org.uk)	       http://www.josef-k.net/
Physics Particle Theory (student)   http://www.pact.cpes.sussex.ac.uk/