recent qemu update breaks winxp guest

NAKATA Maho chat95 at mac.com
Wed Apr 12 05:27:34 UTC 2006

In Message-ID: <443C84EC.2030208 at austin.rr.com>
Lonnie Mendez <lmendez19 at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> Kyryll A Mirnenko aka Mirya wrote:
>
> >I've noticed I can't run winxp guest (SP1, no additional system drivers, etc.
> >inside) with kqemu on anymore after recent qemu port update. It fails in
> >early booting stage (before logo+load progress appears), same for "safe
> >mode". Though it ran perfectly in qemu-0.8.0 + kqemu-0.7.2
> >

>    lo.  Did you set WITH_HACKS for one install and then for the other without
> or vice versa?  If so try building the qemu port with the opposite.
> WITH_HACKS integrates the ide-dma and async i/o patch which I believe
> changes the emulated hardware and may interfere with a sensitive guest.

Same as mine. WITH_HACKS is not yet supported by newest qemu port.
if you enabled DMA hack, and installed win2k/xp, win2k/xp doesn't boot with newer one
I posted an update supporting this, but this is not a complete one.
and seriously breaks the disk image so I removed tarball.

thanks,
-- NAKATA, Maho (maho at FreeBSD.org)