Qemu pegging my CPU

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Apr 11 13:53:35 UTC 2006

Joe Auty <joe at netmusician.org> wrote:
 > I'm running FBSD 5.4, installed the kqemu-mod and qemu, everything
 > seems to be running fine, except Qemu frequently takes up over 90% of
 > my CPU. Just pinging the server or pinging from the host OS outside
 > of my network results in loss of packets. Occasionally my CPU is so
 > taxed that network requests are stalled or cut out.
 >
 > I've given 256 MB RAM to my guest OS (Ubuntu). I believe my computer
 > has 384 MB of RAM.

So, when you run a 256 MB host on a 384 MB machine, that
leaves only 128 MB for the qemu emulator itself and
everything else that runs on the machine.  That means
that you're probably running out of memory, and when the
OS starts swapping, it'll slow down considerably.

It doesn't make much of a difference whether the host OS
is swapping or the guest os is swapping.  Or both.  You
don't want that.  :-)

My advice:  Add more RAM.

Best regards
   Oliver

"File names are infinite in length, where infinity is set to 255 characters."
        -- Peter Collinson, "The Unix File System"