Qemu pegging my CPU

Joe Auty joe at netmusician.org
Mon Apr 10 14:48:11 UTC 2006

Hello,

I'm running FBSD 5.4, installed the kqemu-mod and qemu, everything
seems to be running fine, except Qemu frequently takes up over 90% of
my CPU. Just pinging the server or pinging from the host OS outside
of my network results in loss of packets. Occasionally my CPU is so
taxed that network requests are stalled or cut out.

I've given 256 MB RAM to my guest OS (Ubuntu). I believe my computer
has 384 MB of RAM. I've tried running Ubuntu with the default 128 MB
RAM too.

I can't help thinking that there is something simply wrong here. Qemu
takes 25% of my CPU just to sit idle. I was under the impression that
it is supposed to perform much better? As it stands, VMWare 3.x on
the same machine runs far better. Qemu is currently pretty much
unusable for me.

Is this pretty much just the way things are? Should I try running
FBSD 6.1 and running Xen? If so, any guides explaining how to do
that? Any general advice? I'd like to move away from VMWare since it
seems flakey, instable, and has a questionable future on FBSD.

Thanks!

Joe Auty
NetMusician: web publishing software for musicians
http://www.netmusician.org
joe at netmusician.org