DRI under Linux compat problem

Tue Apr 4 14:22:56 UTC 2006

mag at intron.ac wrote:

> I also hope linux-XFree86-libs may be upgraded to X.org libraries
> in Fedora Core 3. XFree86 4.3.99 is too legacy to support many
> current pieces of software.

We're waiting for the release of FreeBSD 5.5 and 6.1. After that the ports
tree is free for sweeping commits. We need such a commit to improve our
linux rpm infrastructure. After that the linux X.org libs will enter the
tree.

> At the same time, Linux module in FreeBSD kernel should also be
> upgraded to keep up with Linus Torvalds. Currently, too much Linux
> system calls haven't been supported by FreeBSD kernel yet.

Nobody invested time into this so far...

A start would be to look at
http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/source//arch/x86_64/ia32/ia32entry.S?v=linux-2.6.11.8
and to add the names of missing syscalls to
src/sys/i386/linux/syscalls.master and src/sys/amd64/linux32/syscalls.master
(have a look at e.g. the linux_get_thread_area line in syscalls.master for an
example how to do it). This can also be done by someone without much
knowledge about the FreeBSD kernel.

The second step would then be to pick one of those UNIMPL functions and
implement it in src/sys/compat/linux/.

> I am learning the programming environment of FreeBSD kernel to make
> my own contribution to the module.

You're welcome.

Nothing astonishes men so much as common sense and plain dealing.
		-- Ralph Waldo Emerson