cross platform building under emulation

Dan Langille dan at langille.org
Thu Oct 13 17:03:02 PDT 2005

My usual practice when building world is to do it once on the fastest
box I have, then do installs via NFS mounts.  I need to do this for
FreeBSD 4.*, 5.*, 6.*, and -current.  My goal is to do all this with
just one box.  At first I thought of multi-booting the box.

Tonight at the OCUUG meeting <http://www.ocuug.on.ca>, someone
mentioned doing this with emulation.  After hearing that, multi-
booting doesn't sound as good.

The box in question is an AMD 64 3000+ with 1GB of RAM.  The m/b is a
KV8E Deluxe, which gives me the option of onboard RAID-1 SATA.

What do you think of this idea?  What tools would you suggest?

The host enviroment will also be used as my main database server
running FreeBSD 6, most likely in AMD mode.

Thanks.
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/
BSDCan - The Technical BSD Conference - http://www.bsdcan.org/