JDK15 installation problem SOLVED

Greg Lewis glewis at eyesbeyond.com
Tue Nov 15 09:04:32 PST 2005

On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 05:31:21PM +0100, Andreas Krebs wrote:
> Greg Lewis wrote:

> >>The Makefile in linux_base-8 sets the ARCH back to i386, this setting is
> >>probably used in all following installs (just guessing here)
> >>
> >>.if (${ARCH} == "amd64")
> >>LATEST_LINK:=           ${LATEST_LINK:C/linux/linux32/}
> >>ARCH=                   i386
> >>FALLBACK_ELF_MIB=       kern.elf32.fallback_brand
> >>RPMFLAGS+=              --noscripts
> >>.else
> >>

> >Exactly.  So why is the install of linux_base-8 looking for an RPM with
> >amd64 as the architecture then?  That is exactly what the above section
> >of the Makefile is overriding.
> From my understanding the linux emulation always uses i386 RPMs, since
> there is no 64 bit support for the emulation yet. Why the RPMs have the
> $ARCH in their name I don't know since it will always be i386. My guess
> would be that it's designed for future use when 64bit Linux emulation
> becomes available, but I'm only guessing here, but the port maintainer
> should be able to shed some light on this.

Correct.  Only i386 Linux emulation is offered on the amd64 architecture
at this point.  The RPMs have ${ARCH} in their name to permit other
architectures to potentially be supported (e.g. linux_base supports
both i386 and alpha).

However, you're missing the point :).  Go and read the original post in
the thread:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=40758+0+archive/2005/freebsd-java/20051113.freebsd-java

The question is why is the port trying to fetch

glibc-common-2.3.2-4.80.8.amd64.rpm
                          ^^^^^

?

As you have mentioned, linux_base-8 deliberately sets ${ARCH} to i386
on amd64 and the RPM names all include ${ARCH}.  So, why, when pulled in
as a dependency during the JDK build, does it try and fetch an RPM with
amd64 as ${ARCH} when that should basically be impossible?

This isn't the first report like this either, there have been quite a
few and there is even a PR open regarding it.

Greg Lewis                          Email   : glewis at eyesbeyond.com