What is BASEVERSION=9 at linux-* ports

Wed Nov 9 11:33:05 PST 2005

On Wed, 09 Nov 2005 22:07:41 +0300
Boris Samorodov <bsam at ipt.ru> wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Nov 2005 19:35:53 +0100 Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> > Have a look at /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/linux-gtk/Makefile (it's
> > included in those Makefiles where you see the BASEVERSION variable).
>
> Hm, it doesn't make sense to me...
>
> As I understand, this variable shows the path for downloading, yes?

Yes.

> Then I don't understand it's using, i.e. at
> x11-fonts/linux-fontconfig:
>
> -----
> $ cd /usr/ports/x11-fonts/linux-fontconfig
> $ grep BASEVE Makefile
>
> BASEVERSION=    9
>
> $ make all-depends-list | grep linux_
>
> /usr/ports/emulators/linux_base-8
> -----
>
> What's the meaning of this variable here?

BASEVERSION isn't related to the linux_base version. RPMs for RedHat 9
also work on RedHat 8 (at least in the context of the FreeBSD
linuxolator). So it's just a way to specify the right download URI.

This shared part in linux-gtk/Makefile needs to be refactored into e.g.
bsd.rpm.mk and then (after committing the move of this code to
bsd.rpm.mk) it needs to be enhanced.

               I believe the technical term is "Oops!"