emulators/vmware3 and a physical disk on 5-STABLE

Vladimir Grebenschikov vova at fbsd.ru
Tue Mar 22 10:59:28 PST 2005

В вт, 22/03/2005 в 11:50 -0500, John Mitchell пишет:
>Hello all,
>
>I was wondering of anyone knew the _right way_ to set up vmware
>to use a physical disk and install Windows 2000 Professional.
>
>I've made all the devices in /usr/compat/linux/dev/ and still I
>get invalid device errors and startup fails.

It was tricky starting from VmWare2, I've succeed with it on vmware2 and
on earlier versions of vmware3 (it my previous notebook).
I've used manually configured disks description, like:

# cat .vmware/VAIO/ad0
#vm|TOOLSVERSION      0
DRIVETYPE      ide
#vm|VERSION           2
CYLINDERS 116280
HEADS         16
SECTORS       63
#vm|CAPACITY     117210240
ACCESS "../VAIO/ad01.dat" 0 70
ACCESS "/dev/ad0s1" 70 31487330
RDONLY "/dev/ad0s2" 31487400 62910540
ACCESS "/dev/ad0s3" 94397940 22812300

But last time when I tried it works bad (real system won't boot, It
reads boot sector, but can't read entire drive validly).

I even try to diagnose problem and load fbsd from CD inside vmware and
tried to read raw-devices under fbsd - all looks good, but both win and
fbsd refuses to boot from pseudo-disk with strange errors.

Probably it is vmware BIOS problem -
"vmware BIOS is too old to boot from my real HDD ?"

Any advise is appreciated.

--
Vladimir B. Grebenchikov
vova at fbsd.ru