user-mode-linux in fbsd

Andrew Gallatin gallatin at cs.duke.edu
Fri Mar 18 14:02:39 PST 2005

Kris Kennaway writes:
 > On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 04:16:40PM +0100, Krzysztof Drewicz wrote:
 > > Hello!
 > >
 > > I've tried COMPAT_LINUX and must admit: it works good.
 > >
 > > But is/will be ever posible to run user-mode-linux kernel inside of fbsd box?
 >
 > Not currently planned.

Since it is "user mode linux", it is mostly just a linux binary.
So we should be able to run the executable.

Krzysztof: The executable you're running is probably static, which
means that you need to brand it so that FreeBSD can know it is a linux
binary. not a FreeBSD binary.  Try: brandelf -t Linux linux-2.4.19-5
After doing this, it should run, but don't be surprised if it
segfaults immediately...

There is some problem with it mmapping the sparse file it creates that
I never had time to track down.  See the thread I started about this a
little under one year ago. http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-emulation/2004-April/000407.html

I'm probably going to need uml again soon, so I may try to spend some
time figuring this out.  Then again,  I may just fire up vmware and
run uml under vmware like I did before..

Drew