Multiple Simultaneous linux_base

Thu Mar 10 07:04:23 PST 2005

Carl J <carlj1752 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Most of my Linux apps need linux_base8,
> but I have a few old apps that need linux_base6.
>
> Is there a way to install both simultaneous (and set up some sort
> of mapping or such, to enable different app to use different base)?

No, this isn't possible (except you provide patches fot the kernel which
makes this possible ;-) ). And installing both bases into the same directory
isn't a good idea either, they share some files in different versions.

But you can install v6, rename /compat/linux to /compat/linux6, remove
/var/db/pkg/linux_base-6*, install the v8 linux base, copy the files which
the old apps need to /compat/linux/ and remove /compat/linux6. This way you
can use both kind of apps, but you have files installed, which aren't
registered in the package database.

Another possibility to remove the conflicts line from the linux_base ports,
install one, mv it to another name as above, install the other one, move it
to another name too, and create a symlink from the version you want to use
to /compat/linux. This way you can change the symlink to an appropriate
"value" when you start a program. But you shouldn't run programs with
different linux base dependencies at the same time.

Please state the nature of the technical emergency