VMWare questions/issues?

Andy Sparrow andy at spadger.best.vwh.net
Sun Jul 10 01:41:42 GMT 2005

Hi,

Has anyone else noticed the following, or is it just me?

I recently re-installed VMWare2 and it broke.

VMware 2 needs the vmware-any-any-update patch to avoid the AIO VMWare
panic loop.

However, after patching the VMWare binary with the latest
vmware-any-any-update92, it complains to the effect that "0 is less than
the required minimum of 32MB for host memory"...

Going into the Configuration Editor indeed shows zero bytes host memory
detected. Not good.

Patching out the MEM-related function calls from the patch1142()
function in update.c, re-installing and using the patched patch
installer seems to fix the immediate problem - all host memory is
detected.

However, things are still not right. Sometimes VMware starts up
perfectly and runs for hours with no issues; most times, powering up the
VM causes an instant hard lock of the machine with the hard drive light
locked on solid.

I don't recall the older vmware-any-any-update patch doing this, but can
only find v92 now. Any ideas as to what else might in the patch set
might be incompatible/unnecesary with linux_base-8-8.0.6? There's really
not a lot of debugging available - no log entries anywhere, can't break
to kernel debugger, nothing.

Also, what's the trick to getting networking functional with VMWare3?
Neither bridged nor host-only mode seems to work for me - packets go
out, but nothing ever comes back in - the exact same setup/inputs to the
port works as expected/as it always did with VMWare2...

This is all recent UP 4.11-STABLE with linux_base-8-8.0_6.

Any help appreciated - this sucks greatly, I paid full-price for VMWare
and it's pretty much been bullet-proof for years. I wish OpenOffice cut
it for me, but it doesn't.

If a send-pr would be helpful, I'd be happy to oblige.

<Me off to play with the KQEMU kernel module...>

Cheers,

Andy