Bug in linux_base-8

Fri Feb 25 10:34:20 GMT 2005

Andrew Reilly <a.reilly at lake.com> wrote:

> On 24/02/2005, at 13:06, David O'Brien wrote:
>
>> We're missing strip(1), which is used in the Acroread install:
>>
>> $ grep strip /usr/ports/print/acroread/Makefile
>>   -@${LINUXBASE}/usr/bin/strip
>> ${PREFIX}/Acrobat5/Reader/intellinux/bin/acroread
>>
>> Anyone know which RPM we need to add to linux_base-8 to get strip(1)?
>
> I don't know the answer to this question, but suspect that it might
> be somewhere in a compiler tool-set, that one wouldn't necessarily

When you're right: we (specially I as the maintainer of icc) don't want to
install linux compiler tools by default.

> want to have to install as a prerequisite for installing pre-compiled
> Acroread.  I've just looked at the Makefile: what does this line buy
> us?  Wouldn't an appropriate fix for a failing acroread port build be
> to simply remove the call to LINUXBASE...strip altogether?

A "fix" for this issue is to do nothing. The quoted line has a '-' in front
if it, this means that a failure of this command isn't considered an error.
Whoever put this line in was probably aware of the problem at hand.

I think the more appropriate question is: what's the result of this operation
(a smaller executable), and what do we gain by it (with todays harddisk
sizes: nearly nothing).

To know yourself is the ultimate form of aggression.