vmware3 trouble with AIO NOT_IMPLEMENTED F(831):712 error

Carl J carlj1752 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 7 10:16:29 PST 2005

Hi, all! I've just upgraded to FreeBSD 4.11 (by a fresh re-install),
and installed /usr/ports/emulators/vmware3

I was able to power up a virtual machine, and boot up Win2K, etc.
But whenever I power down the VM, vmware popups a panic message:

   VMWare Workstation Unrecoverable error: (VMX)
   AIO: NOT_IMPLEMENTED F(831):712

Then the program dies, with a message on the xterm:

   VMWare Panic: (ide1:0) NOT_IMPLEMENTED F(831):712
   VMWare Panic: (VMX) AIO: NOT_IMPLEMENTED F(831):712

And it logs an error message to the console:

   linux: 'ioctl' fd=10, cmd=0x5393 ('S',147) not implemented

What's interesting is: if I remove all IDE and SCSI drives from the Virtual
machine,
then I can powerup and shutdown without any error. (Of course I can't
do anything useful in such a virtual machine setup, but at least it helps me
narrow down the source of error).

Is this happening to anyone else? Or do I have some inproper setup?

(The relevant packages I have installed are:
xorg-server-6.8.1_2
linux_base-8-8.0_4
linux_devtools-8.0_3
rtc-2004.02.24.1_4