Problems with Linux 32 bit emu at amd64 platform

Thu Aug 25 13:20:00 GMT 2005

Jan Riedinger <jan at physik.TU-Berlin.DE> wrote:

> If I restart the application after such a crash, it runs very unstable
> and crashes every some minutes. I have reboot the system to get the
> prior state. If I start the program from console, I get an error
> message of "Illegal instruction" .
>
> How can I examin, what is causing this problem?

"Illegal instruction" sounds like the program tries to use a CPU-instruction
which isn't supported by the processor. An instruction which is available on
some Intel CPU's but not on AMD CPU's. Does the same program run flawlessly
if you run an x86 FreeBSD instead of the amd64 FreeBSD on this machine?

The fortune program is supported, in part, by user contributions and by
a major grant from the National Endowment for the Inanities.