FreeBSD 5.4 Release + VMware3 working

Naoyuki Tai ntai at smartfruit.com
Tue Aug 9 18:29:53 GMT 2005

Hi,

As I upgraded my server from 4.11 to 5.4, I reinstalled VMware3.

Here is the step I had to take.

1. Add kern.ipc.shm_allow_removed=1 to /etc/sysctl.conf
2. Add AIO support in kernel, and reboot.
3. Have all the necessary files in /usr/ports/distfiles and make install
4. Update /usr/X11R6/lib/vmware/bin/vmware using vmware-any-any-update42
5. Set up /usr/X11R6/etc/vmware/config

Tada!

And, it's up and ruuning now.
I shoudl mention that, I do not use any devices other than disk and
ethernet, and, that's all I need.
No sound, no usb, no video, no floppy.
I used ISO image for the installation of RedHat 9 on it.

Of all the installations of VMware I have done before, this one was the
easiest.

Since all other messages were "it does not work.", it's probably a fresh
change to know that it's working for a person.

--
Naoyuki "Tai" Tai, ntai a t smartfruit d o t com