RFC: cleanup of linux ports

Wed Apr 13 03:20:44 PDT 2005

Mark Linimon <linimon at lonesome.com> wrote:

> I am also still confused by the RUN_DEPENDS logic (some of this logic
> is in the current bsd.port.mk).
>
> In certain cases we depend on bin/sh to be the marker, in other cases
> etc/redhat-release.  This seems inconsistent.  I wonder if this
> would cause problems if trying to install different versions?

/bin/sh would be the canonical dependency. I don't think the actual behavior
results in problems.

> This logic also assumes that anything that isn't a partial portname
> or '7' should be the default.  This seems wrong.  IMHO after the
> test for '7' should be a test for 'yes', which sets whatever is the
> current default (currently 8).  Any other value should set IGNORE.

I did this because USE_LINUX was a trigger variable before. If set to any
value (even "no"), it triggered a dependency to the default linux base.

We have several of such trigger variables. I don't think we should change
that (for USE_LINUX only). If you think that we should get rid of trigger
variables, it should be done for all trigger variables at once.

Personally I think we should fix up the docs to explain that "no" doesn't
DTRT for those variables instead.

There was a young physicist named Fisk
Whose lovemaking was rather brisk.
	So quick was his action,