ports/76644: FreeBSD 5.3 will freeze or crash when run vmware on i386 platform with P4 1.7G CPU and ATI Video Card

Brandon Hume hume at cs.dal.ca
Fri Apr 8 09:20:27 PDT 2005

The following reply was made to PR ports/76644; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Brandon Hume <hume at cs.dal.ca>
To: czcc at 163.com, freebsd-gnats-submit at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: ports/76644: FreeBSD 5.3 will freeze or crash when run vmware
	on i386 platform with P4 1.7G CPU and ATI Video Card
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 13:16:43 -0300

 I've been experiencing the same symptoms as those described here, with
 ATA_IDENTIFY timeouts, WRITE timeouts, and so on.  However, VMWare
 *USED* to work fine.

 My problems started after a ports-related disaster and system reinstall.
 I believe I started at 5.3-RELEASE-p0 or -p1, then CVSup'd to
 5.4-PRERELEASE; I had problems with ports and reverted to 5.3 with a
 full reinstall.  When I put VMWare back, it started killing the machine
 on PowerOn.

 Like the original submitter, I've tried disabling ACPI, as mentioned in
 pkg-message; it made no difference.  I've made no changes between my
 working kernel-conf and non-working kernel conf (although I've since
 made changes trying to treat this problem and another unrelated X lockup
 problem...)

 --- KERNEL CONFIG ---
 machine		i386
 cpu		I686_CPU
 ident		SHUMIRA

 makeoptions	DEBUG=-g		# Build kernel with gdb(1) debug symbols

 options 	SCHED_4BSD		# 4BSD scheduler
 options 	INET			# InterNETworking
 options 	INET6			# IPv6 communications protocols
 options 	FFS			# Berkeley Fast Filesystem
 options 	SOFTUPDATES		# Enable FFS soft updates support
 options 	UFS_ACL			# Support for access control lists
 options 	UFS_DIRHASH		# Improve performance on big directories
 options 	MD_ROOT			# MD is a potential root device
 options 	NFSCLIENT		# Network Filesystem Client
 options 	NFSSERVER		# Network Filesystem Server
 options 	NFS_ROOT		# NFS usable as /, requires NFSCLIENT
 options 	MSDOSFS			# MSDOS Filesystem
 options 	CD9660			# ISO 9660 Filesystem
 options 	PROCFS			# Process filesystem (requires PSEUDOFS)
 options 	PSEUDOFS		# Pseudo-filesystem framework
 options		GEOM_GPT		# GUID Partition Tables.
 options 	COMPAT_43		# Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
 options 	COMPAT_FREEBSD4		# Compatible with FreeBSD4
 options 	SCSI_DELAY=15000	# Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
 options 	KTRACE			# ktrace(1) support
 options 	SYSVSHM			# SYSV-style shared memory
 options 	SYSVMSG			# SYSV-style message queues
 options 	SYSVSEM			# SYSV-style semaphores
 options 	_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING # Posix P1003_1B real-time extensions
 options 	KBD_INSTALL_CDEV	# install a CDEV entry in /dev

 options		ADAPTIVE_GIANT		# Giant mutex is adaptive.

 # Debugging for use in -current
 options		KDB
 options 	DDB			#Enable the kernel debugger

 device		apic		# I/O APIC

 device		isa
 device		eisa
 device		pci

 # Floppy drives
 device		fdc

 # ATA and ATAPI devices
 device		ata
 device		atadisk			# ATA disk drives
 device		ataraid			# ATA RAID drives
 device		atapicd			# ATAPI CDROM drives
 device		atapifd			# ATAPI floppy drives
 device		atapist			# ATAPI tape drives
 device		atapicam		# SCSI emulation, needs scbus & pass
 options 	ATA_STATIC_ID		#Static device numbering

 # SCSI peripherals
 device		scbus			# SCSI code
 device		da			# SCSI disk devices
 device		cd			# CD
 device		pass			# SCSI passthrough
 # atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
 device		atkbdc		# AT keyboard controller
 device		atkbd		# AT keyboard

 device		vga		# VGA video card driver

 device		splash		# Splash screen and screen saver support

 # syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
 device		sc

 device		agp		# support several AGP chipsets

 # Floating point support - do not disable.
 device		npx

 device		pmtimer

 # Serial (COM) ports
 device		sio		# 8250, 16[45]50 based serial ports

 # Parallel port
 device		ppc
 device		ppbus		# Parallel port bus (required)
 device		lpt		# Printer
 device		ppi		# Parallel port interface device

 # PCI Ethernet NICs that use the common MII bus controller code.
 # NOTE: Be sure to keep the 'device miibus' line in order to use these NICs!
 device		miibus		# MII bus support
 device		fxp		# Intel EtherExpress PRO/100B (82557, 82558)

 # Pseudo devices.
 device		loop		# Network loopback
 device		mem		# Memory and kernel memory devices
 device		io		# I/O device
 device		random		# Entropy device
 device		ether		# Ethernet support
 device		sl		# Kernel SLIP
 device		ppp		# Kernel PPP
 device		tun		# Packet tunnel.
 device		pty		# Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
 device		md		# Memory "disks"
 device		gif		# IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
 device		faith		# IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)

 device		bpf		# Berkeley packet filter

 device		uhci		# UHCI PCI->USB interface
 device		ohci		# OHCI PCI->USB interface
 device		usb		# USB Bus (required)
 #device		udbp		# USB Double Bulk Pipe devices
 device		ugen		# Generic
 device		uhid		# "Human Interface Devices"
 device		ukbd		# Keyboard
 device		ulpt		# Printer
 device		umass		# Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
 device		ums		# Mouse