/dev, /proc support in a chrooted Linux emulation environment

Brooks Davis brooks at one-eyed-alien.net
Tue Sep 14 11:51:44 PDT 2004

On Tue, Sep 14, 2004 at 01:35:35PM -0500, Conrad J. Sabatier wrote:
> I've been exploring running Linux binaries under a chrooted Linux shell
> (entering the environment via "chroot /compat/linux /bin/bash").  I've
> had remarkable success in installing and running quite a few rpms beyond
> those found in the linux_base port, but have found that /dev support (as
> well as /proc) doesn't work as expected when running Linux apps within
> such an environment.
>
> Programs/scripts attempting to access, for example, /dev/null complain
> about no such file or device.  The same for /dev/ttyX, /dev/zero, etc.
>
> Similar problems occur attempting to use /proc/*.  I'm also experiencing
> some networking problems, mainly with DNS resolution, but for now, my
> main concern is /dev and /proc.
>
> I realize that the method I'm using for running Linux apps is not what
> was intended with FreeBSD's Linux emulation mode, but it's interesting
> enough that I want to continue delving into it.  My goal is to have as
> near-complete a working Linux environment as possible, one that would
> support running practically any Linux app within this chrooted
> environment and would, for all intents and purposes, appear as a "real"
> Linux to any programs running within it.
>
> Are there any suggestions as to how I might remedy some of these
> problems?  Or is this simply beyond the scope/capabilities of the Linux
> emulator at this time?

You can provide a fairly complete linux /proc with linprocfs. /dev is
more difficult.  You can try mounting devfs in your linux /dev which
may work for many applications.  For the moment, you can also make
nodes like /dev/null and /dev/zero with mknod, but I believe that
functionality will be going away.  I suspect we will eventually need a
lindevfs to make devices show up the way linux wants them to.

-- Brooks