Can BOCHS or QEMU run Windows 2000 Pro acceptably?

Vladimir Grebenschikov vova at fbsd.ru
Sun Oct 17 22:42:19 PDT 2004

В сб, 16/10/2004 в 20:30 -0400, bsdfsse пишет:

> Does anyone know if either BOCHS or QEMU can run Windows 2000 Pro
> acceptably -  with "acceptably" being defined as able to edit and
> compile with Microsoft's Visual C++ 6.0?  On either FreeBSD 4.x or 5.x.
>
> I would also like to be able to run Microsoft's VPN and XP RemoteDesktop
> clients within the virtual machine, otherwise I could probably use a
> Win95 client OS.
>
> I'm still experimenting with VMWare 2 and 3, and plan to try
> SerenityVirtual's emulator next.

I am run vmware3 on 6-CURRENT without significant problems with winXP
inside.

Some issues:
  - sometimes (very rare) whole system (including mouse) stop for some
    seconds (like under very heavy load), then it passes
  - sometimes vmware popups window with warning like
    "...disk..., argument list too long. <Retry> <Cancel>",
    retry helps in this case
  - I've failed to see my WinXP real partition under vmware like I was
    do before. Configured plain disk not seen properly under vmware.

--
Vladimir B. Grebenchikov
vova at fbsd.ru