vmware2 patch for -CURRENT

Bruce Evans bde at zeta.org.au
Tue May 4 05:10:32 PDT 2004

On Mon, 3 May 2004, Andrew Gallatin wrote:

> BTW, has anybody tried running 5.2-current as a guest on vmware2?

Not me.

> It panics in sse2_pagezero() on my p4, so I have to break into
> the debugger and reduce my cpu_class to 3.  I"m really glad that the
> jsnap builds have ddb built in.. ;)

Apparently vmware2 doesn't support some SSE2 instructions despite claiming
to.  The code that calls ss2_pagezero() seems to test mostly the right
things.  (cpu_feature & CPU_SSE2) is supposed to indicate that the CPU
supports SSE2, and it shouldn't be necessary to also test cpu_class.

Try my memory access benchmarks in ~bde/cache on freefall for debugging
this in userland (./w -c sse2 -f 19 uses the same access method as
sse2_pagezero()).

Bruce