Further info on jdk14 problem

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Thu Jun 10 18:36:57 GMT 2004

While John E Hein was trying to figure out why data written to
/dev/null on Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 10:55  was not readable,
he gave up and decided to grace us with this:

> Bill Vermillion wrote at 12:31 -0400 on Jun 10, 2004:
>  > I now went to the linux-sun-jdk tree did a make clean and was going
>  > to build the port and I noticed something that struck me as strange
>  >
>  > The above shows that linux_base-7.1_5 is installed.  BUT
>  > a make-clean shows that it was cleaning for linux_base_7.1_7.

> Nothing to worry about there.  That just probably means you installed
> linux_base back when it was 7.1_5 (before early Feb or so).  But you
> have since updated your ports tree, and now linux_base is 7.1_7.  So
> when linux-sun-jdk goes to do a make clean on the dependencies, it
> says it's cleaning the work dirs for 7.1-7.

That explains that.

> You could use portupgrade (as you did) to update your linux_base if
> you want (or deinstall, then make install again) and you will get the
> newer version.

Well now I'm in more trouble I think.  I attempted to do a
portupgrade and it went through all the proccesses of deinstalling
the 7.1-5 and proceeded to make the 7.1-7, then it failed with:

execution of glibc-2.2.4-33 script failed, exit status 0
**** error code 1.

But it deinstalled and instead of what usually happens on a
portupgrade it reinstalls the older version, however this did NOT
happen and pkg_info now shows NO linux_base.

There are no linux_base entries in /var/db/pkg.  I figured I'd just
check to make sure pkg_info wasn't lying :-)

Does this mean I'm regressing ? :-).

I'll attempt to install the package for 7.1-7 and see if I can
get back to some semblance of order.

>  > So just now tried a portupgrade and to get to the 7.1_7 version.
>  > It went along for awhile, started installing and then
>  > I see I get a failure with an excution failed on
>  > the script glib-2.2.4-33.

> You didn't say what the failure was, but obviously installing 7.1_7
> works okay here.

No.  That all that I get is the script failed.

>  > Xfree but live almost exclusively in a 80x24 test workd.

> You may not use it, but it's possible other ports want X in order to
> build.

I don't have anything in make.conf that would preclude that.  The
only thing I normally don't build is cvsup-without-gui and I
typically just put that in as a package to save all the ruby build
time.

>  > > So did you ktrace that last bit (probably the install.sfx
>  > > is a linux app... use file to tell)?

>  > I did not use ktrace, and I'm not really a programmer - been more
>  > of a syadmin and fixer for a long time.
>
> ktrace is a valuable tool for a sysadmin and it's easy to use.
> And it's useful when reporting problems on mailing lists ;)

I'll investigate that - after I see how the installing the
linux-base package works.

Thanks.

--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com