Further info on jdk14 problem

John E Hein jhein at timing.com
Thu Jun 10 15:37:07 GMT 2004

Bill Vermillion wrote at 21:13 -0400 on Jun  9, 2004:
 > Looking at the docs I see that a valid javac needs to be installed.
 > The linux-sun was giving 'bad system call' on my 4.10.
 >
 > So I decided to try to put in another javac to see if there would
 > be a difference.
 >
 > I installed the linux-ibm-jdk1.4.1, and set the appropriate
 > variables, and in the end I get the same 'bad system call'
 >
 > Snipped from the build:
 > ------------------------------
 > Bootstrap Settings:
 >    JAVAWS_BOOTDIR = /usr/local/linux-ibm-jdk1.4.1
 >    BOOTSTRAP J2SDK VERSION: Bad system call (core dumped)
 >    OUTPUTDIR = /usr/ports/java/jdk14/work/control/build/bsd-i586
 >
 > So does that indicate it is indeed an emulation problem, as it now
 > occurs in both the sun-linux jdk and the ibm-linux.

I sent a message about it working for me yesterday on 4.8.  I just
checked 4.10 and it also works for me (also with linux_base-7.1_7).

Add a -dl to the make of your linux-sun-jdk port and see the last
thing it's doing before it dies.  If it's a linux app that's being
run, try using ktrace and the linux_kdump port to see where it's
dying.

Which linux_base do you have installed?