problem with flash sync and linux emu

Michal Pasternak michal at pasternak.w.lub.pl
Tue Jul 27 13:26:34 PDT 2004

Vulpes Velox [Tue, Jul 27, 2004 at 01:02:01PM -0500]:
> Well when playing flash files, using linux-flashplugin-6.0r79_1, the
> audio slowly begins getting out of sync. Has any one else noticed this
> or found a fix?

I don't think this belongs to emulation, really. Why? I have noticed such
"feature" both on FreeBSD and sometimes on win32 (I don't remember about
Linux, but I think it's rather hardware-related - slow CPU, slow graphics
card, maybe one or more bugs in Macromedia code - but I have no idea, I have
fast workstation).

Why does it happen? I have a theory about that: for some flash files, that
use short sound samples, you won't see that - short samples are played
in-sync with the movie and there is no delay (even if your hardware doesn't
render the movie as fast as it should, samples are played right in time).
What about long .wav (30 sec or more), played along some hi-quality rendered
animation? Well, sometimes it won't, but sometimes it will go out of sync -
just because the movie has 0.01 sec lag on each frame, after 10 minutes it
will be 6 seconds difference.

Having in mind your dislikeness for Linux operating systems (and perhaps
even a bigger one for win32), I'd suggest you right-click the movie, stop
(pause) it when you see it goes too much out of sync, then un-pause. It
helped me in such situations.

Take care,